COVID-19 Response - Supporting Local Businesses
Published on September 2020
As a government we have been committed to following the health expert’s advice so we can prevent loss of life in SA and everyday there has been new information to communicate. We have been so grateful to each of you for your adherence to restrictions which have put us in the best position to fight off a second wave of COVID-19 cases in SA. This has significantly accelerated the easing of restrictions to support local jobs and business recovery.
So far, all the State’s changes have been made with advice and input from the Chief Public Health Officer and the Economic Transition Committee and are part of our strong plan which balances health, social and economic considerations on the road back to a COVID safe economy.
We have also been consulting heavily with industry in SA to support as many businesses as possible to get through to the other side, and in turn, preserve as many jobs as possible. This is another important step on the road back to recovery and we’re able to do this because of South Australia’s world-class testing regime, decisive action in closing our borders and the community’s resolute adherence to COVID-19 restrictions.
Now we must, if we have the capacity to do so, continue to support our local businesses, support our regions, but don’t be complacent about the ongoing need to protect yourself and those around you.
The State Government’s comprehensive $1 billion economic response and stimulus measures to assist with the preservation and creation of jobs, included:
• Immediate economic stimulus package worth $350 million to drive the economy through job-creating infrastructure projects
• $300 million Business and Jobs Support Fund and $250 million Community and Jobs Support Fund
• $10,000 emergency cash grants for small businesses
• Payroll tax relief – up to $60 million of savings to businesses
• Land tax relief – up to $13 million of additional savings
• Skills for Business Package – including up to $5,000 boost when hiring an apprentice
• $16 million VET Market Continuity Package
• Mentoring support for small businesses including start-ups and scaleups
Locally, I would like to thank everyone for supporting our local businesses.
I do encourage you to keep a regular check of the latest information and assistance available on the following websites: State Government website: www.sa.gov.au and the Federal Government website: www.australia.gov.au
The SA COVID-19 Hotline is also available to answer any questions you may have on 1800 253 787.